Sunday, October 18, 2009

Letter to Rep Haveman

Dear Representative Haveman,

I am writing out of concern for your proposed legislation on limiting the Bridge Card, and more specifically its effect on college students. I am currently attending Central Michigan University, and although I do not have a Bridge Card I do know a number of students who do. This card is a godsend to students, because it helps lower the already absurd amount of finances and debt necessary to attend a major university by eliminating food expenses from student's budgets. Although I do share your sentiment on the misuse of this card by those who may not need it or by those who use the card to "buy alcohol and tobacco", I must point out that the number of people who use this card for its intended purposes greatly outweighs the abusers. I know this because there is a limitation built into the program that forbids holders from purchasing anything besides groceries. This means that there is no real threat of misuse by college students, since they are unable to use their card for alcohol and tobacco. Also, there is no way one could buy illegal drugs or lottery tickets with the card. Most drug dealers do not own a credit card system, and as stated above, only groceries are allowed. One cannot even purchase fast food on the Bridge Card Program, let alone pot or lotto tickets.

I urge you to reconsider the limitation on who may or may not be eligible for this privilege, especially in our economic state. Students who are dependents should not be barred from this financial assistance because although they may receive some benefit from their parents, this does not mean they are fully dependent on them. For example, I am a dependent under my parents and receive medical benefits under their name, which was already difficult due to my father's self-employment. However, I am paying my own way through school, and taking on a large amount of debt to do so. My parents are unable to pay for my tuition and living expenses, and if I claim myself as independent I would lose health care, if I claim myself a dependent I would lose the opportunity to receive a Bridge Card.

The logic of this legislation is contradictory. It does not make sense for its intended purposes and will hurt already struggling college students. It is misinformed and destructive to a demographic of Michigan tax-paying citizens who may need this program to get them through an already difficult and frugal time. If anything, I would propose a bill to expand the use of the card to more college majors, or for an alternative program geared towards college students. This would solve the fears of misuse, even though this possibility already does not exist. I strongly urge you to reconsider your convictions. This legislation is based on misconceptions, misinformation, and a general ignorance of college students.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Kristopher Harrison

No comments:

Post a Comment